[sword-devel] Wordproject®
David Haslam
2014-04-09 18:13:58 UTC
There are a number of Bible translations listed here that we've not come
across before.

http://www.wordproject.org/

It would be useful to research which of those not already listed on our wiki
page

http://crosswire.org/wiki/Module_Requests

might be worth approaching for distribution permissions.

David

David Haslam
2014-04-09 18:16:58 UTC
I myself had a quick preview for the Gujerati Bible online text here:

http://www.wordproject.org/bibles/guj/

David

Karl Kleinpaste
2014-04-09 20:39:56 UTC
Post by David Haslam
There are a number of Bible translations listed here that we've not come
across before.
I was half a step from writing some really easy scripts to download and
grind into a module, when I bumped totally randomly into the Oriya
version's Rev 6, where I found that the verse numbering was not
maintained precisely. Notice the numbering error at the end of the
chapter: http://www.wordproject.org/bibles/or/66/6.htm

If these Bibles need to be manually checked for accuracy and precision
of this type, the prospects for easy conversion at a suitable level of
quality dwindle rapidly.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Good grief, what a mess.
http://www.wordproject.org/bibles/or/66/7.htm
http://www.wordproject.org/bibles/or/66/2.htm
David Haslam
2014-04-10 08:51:38 UTC
Maybe the mess is more than a technical shrotfall.

I now think we need to check whether that have a plausible policy as regards
copyright statements and permissions.

I see that they also have the Somali KQA translation.
I could ask my contacts at SIM whether Wordproject ever requested
permissions from them.

Observing that it's based in Macao, I'm beginning to wonder if they even pay
lip-service to the Berne Convention.

I'm fairly busy, and won't mind if someone else finds evidence before I do.

David

David Haslam
2014-04-11 10:52:48 UTC
I have just sent a message to the webmaster of the Nolosha Cusub site, which
officially hosts the Somali KQA translation.

He will no doubt forward this to those at SIM who deal with such matters.

Best wishes,

David

David Haslam
2014-04-10 08:57:55 UTC
A new capture script isn't always needed - sometimes it's simpler to use

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/scrapbook/

and then process the captured HTML pages.

NB. It's quite a while since I used this method.

David

Matěj Cepl
2014-04-09 21:25:30 UTC
Post by David Haslam
There are a number of Bible translations listed here that we've not come
across before.
http://www.wordproject.org/
It would be useful to research which of those not already listed on our wiki
page
Just to say http://www.wordproject.org/bibles/cz/42/2.htm is the same
weird 1589 first edition of the Kralick? Bible as we have in Sword.

Mat?j
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

I know of no country in which there is so little independence of
mind and real freedom of discussion as in America.
-- Alexis de Tocqueville
The Persian text is not clear to me which translation.

Sent from my HTC

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
In 2 recent messages, David Haslam said:

&gt; Message-ID: &lt;1397067238654-4653854.post at n4.nabble.com&gt;
&gt;
&gt; There are a number of Bible translations listed here that we've not come
&gt; across before.
&gt;
&gt; http://www.wordproject.org/
&gt;
&gt; It would be useful to research which of those not already listed on our wiki
&gt; page
&gt;
&gt; http://crosswire.org/wiki/Module_Requests
&gt;
&gt; might be worth approaching for distribution permissions.
&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Message-ID: &lt;1397119898759-4653860.post at n4.nabble.com&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Maybe the mess is more than a technical shortfall.
&gt;
&gt; I now think we need to check whether that have a plausible policy as regards
&gt; copyright statements and permissions.
&gt;
&gt; I see that they also have the Somali KQA translation.
&gt; I could ask my contacts at SIM whether Wordproject ever requested
&gt; permissions from them.
&gt;
&gt; Observing that it's based in Macao, I'm beginning to wonder if they even pay
&gt; lip-service to the Berne Convention.
&gt;
&gt; I'm fairly busy, and won't mind if someone else finds evidence before I do..
From what's on their Copyrights page (http://www.wordproject.org/contact/new/copyrights.htm, extracted from below), it would seem that concern over this is warranted.
- Russell
Copyrights

Wordproject is a global outreach that uses the Internet as a
means to fulfill the great comission of Jesus Christ laid in the
Holy Bible, New Testament, Mark
16:15 - "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to
every creature".

We publish the Holy Bible in good faith claiming the right of
fair use for non-profit purposes and public benefit. Most, if not
all, of the versions of the Bible in our site are on the Public Domain but, in case of any
discrepancies, we state the following:

We&nbsp;acknowledge&nbsp;that the author
of the Bible is God - His rights are forever protected. The
translations [of most versions found on this site] have been done
many years ago, therefore in most cases no longer covered by
copyrights. In most countries copyrights last for a limited time.
In any case, with all due respect, Bible translations should never
be copyrighted as that contravenes the desired of the Author - ["Freely
ye have receive, freely give"; " He that
spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how
shall he not with him also freely give us all things". ].

As for the audio narrations, several have been done or sponsored
by Wordproject. We claim and grant the right to use narrations of
the Bible on good and fair use for non-profit purposes, and we
assume the narrators have done the work also in fulfilment of the
great
commission to preach the Gospel to every creature, therefore
are happy to see their work being used for that purpose. A
narrator that narrates the Holy Bible for any other purpose but
the one&nbsp;commissioned&nbsp;by the Author Himself, as clearly stipulated
in the works [The Holy Bible], could be found &nbsp;transgressing on
the rights of the Author of the works [God Himself]..

As translators and narrators ourselves, we have
never been given any rights over the materials we translated or
narrated, and we could never have claimed them. The Holy
Bible, the aim thereof is to be copied and multiplied many times
over to satisfy the needs of the people for God's Word, should be
free of copyrights and its integrity and free distribution [non
commercialization by any means] protected by all Christians,
Churches and Bible Societies.

The above summarizes our stand concerning the translation, and
narration of the Holy Bible in any language, respecting always the
opinions of others and the law, which varies from country to
country, therefore making it impossible to&nbsp;conform through this
globalized means.

'The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that
published it'. [Psalms
68:11]

'Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that
hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.' [Isaiah
55:1]