[sword-devel] Front-end apps & Social Media
David Haslam
2014-04-07 15:28:16 UTC
The world is changing rapidly.

More people access the web now through apps rather than through browsers.
Forbes just issued a report on this trend.

I would like to see a lot more imaginative enhancements between our
front-end apps and Social Media.

Being able to share a passage on Facebook or through Twitter would improve
our image,
but much more importantly, it would raise the profile of Bible reading as
the main activity to which our mission is oriented.

Best regards,

David

Israel
We are already implementing this feature in the Ubuntu Touch version.
It is still very early on, but we have been making overall good
progress. We access the native sharing API (using Friends), so
certainly this could be done for other mobile platforms. As for
desktops, I am not sure about Windows (or Mac), but there are ways to
integrate with Gnome, and Ubuntu without much effort (actually Ubuntu
uses the same API on desktop/mobile when making it a QML Ubuntu Touch
app, as it runs on desktop and mobile similarly)
Regards
Chris Burrell
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by David Haslam
I would like to see a lot more imaginative enhancements between our
front-end apps and Social Media.

Take a very good look at the warning that Xiphos, BibleTime, and
BibleTime Mini displays when installing new resources.
Then ponder upon why those apps display that warning.

jonathon
David &quot;Judah's Shadow&quot; Blue
2014-04-17 18:53:00 UTC
Post by jonathon
Take a very good look at the warning that Xiphos, BibleTime, and
BibleTime Mini displays when installing new resources.
Then ponder upon why those apps display that warning.
The purpose of this message would not, necessarily, apply to social media posting for two reasons. 1) The warning is there for those in persecuted countries that may not be aware that downloading from a front-end's install manager uses the same protocols as web downloads (http/ftp) and thus will show up in the any monitoring that their government does (i.e. the government will know they visited the web/ftp site and what files they downloaded), so they do not inadvertantly get caught. 2) if they manually typed out a verse from a sword module, or any bible, on a particular social media site, it would carry the same risks as posting directly from a front-end. Installing sword modules only carries risk if it is done over a public network like the internet.
Chris Burrell
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
To Jonathon Blake:

Considering your past interactions with us, you probably know that you
are not exactly welcome to post on our list. You were posting like a
troll then, you are posting like a troll now. Shame.

Peter