[sword-devel] Sword 1.7.3
Greg Hellings
2014-04-17 04:59:06 UTC
We're hoping to have an impending Sword 1.7.3 release soon. As such, I have
attempted to merge only bug fixes and such over from the SVN trunk to the
sword-1-7-x branch. A highlight of some of the improvements since 1.7.2:

JIRA fixes for
MODTOOLS-1
MODTOOLS-64
API-159
API-158
API-164
Study filter now defaults to off like other filters
Additional code examples
Vastly improved and updated flatapi/C bindings
Better standards compliance
Better error detection and reporting
Multiple small render improvements
Changes to how preverse content is rendered by the engine
Many fixes to utilities

Several of these (especially study filters, error reporting, and preverse
content) will affect front-ends. Please, check out sword-1-7-x and check.
Make sure it builds for you, using all your favorite options and settings.
Also, build your favorite front end(s) against it and see how they fare.
Some of these changes are old (January) some are brand new (last night) so
front ends might not all be completely savvy.

As always, please report bugs. It is known, at the least, that the preverse
content rendering is not completely fixed yet so 1.7.3 won't release until
that is fixed.

Also, if you're geeky enough, please check I didn't break API or ABI
compatibility with this. It is our intention for 1.7.3 to be a drop-in
replacement for 1.7.2 including only bug fixes, so if I've accidentally
merged a breaking change, we'll need to identify that and revert it
properly.

Thanks for following along, and please! Test and report failures/successes.

--Greg
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Greg Hellings

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
"Many fixes to utilities"

Care to expand a little more of the details?

David

Barry Drake
2014-04-17 11:02:54 UTC
Post by David Haslam
"Many fixes to utilities"
Care to expand a little more of the details?
The following files in the utilities directory need to be patched as the
Debian builder bottles out on warnings. In all nine files there are
unused variables returned from functions. The files are:
cipherraw.cpp gbfidx.cpp genbookutil.cpp installmgr.cpp lexdump.c
step2vpl.cpp stepdump.cpp treeidxutil.cpp vpl2mod.cpp

I've attached the patch if you need more details.

God bless, Barry.
A patch like this will need to be accepted into trunk before I can merge it
down to branches/sword-1-7-x. In the past Troy has been unwilling to apply
some patches just to satisfy Debian's obsessively pedantic behavior while
compiling. He'll have to make a determination on this patch. If you open a
JIRA and attach this patch to it, that will ensure we don't lose visibility
to it.

--Greg
Post by Greg Hellings
A patch like this will need to be accepted into trunk before I can
merge it down to branches/sword-1-7-x. In the past Troy has been
unwilling to apply some patches just to satisfy Debian's obsessively
pedantic behavior while compiling. He'll have to make a determination
on this patch. If you open a JIRA and attach this patch to it, that
will ensure we don't lose visibility to it.
To be honest, I tend to agree with Troy about Debian's behaviour. If I
need to update for a later release it doesn't take a huge amount of work
to re-make the patch assuming that some of the patched files have
changed. Unless you really think I ought, I'm not going to bother to
submit the patch.

Actually, I posted thinking that David was referring to my post and not
the other one. The patch was attached for information. Since making
the Sword 1.7.3 packages, I've installed from these packages into a
clean Debian build environment and successfully built the current 1.10.0
BibleTime within that environment using that installation, so I can say
that the library and devel packages are OK.

Packaging BibleTime is going to take a bit longer.

God bless, Barry.

God bless,
Greg Hellings
2014-04-17 13:51:24 UTC
Post by Barry Drake
Post by Greg Hellings
[...]
The earlier sword-1.7.3 packages you built were taken from sword trunk,
which means they reflect both the changes in 1.7.3 and additional changes
that I detailed in my other thread this morning. The eventual release of
1.7.3 will be done off of the svn branch named "sword-1-7-x", which I just
updated last night. Your patch should apply pretty cleanly to that, as it
would - at the worst - just be missing a few blocks of code or files. There
shouldn't be anything extra in sword-1-7-x that you haven't already
packaged, there's just a little bit less because it doesn't have the new
features.

--Greg
Post by Barry Drake
Packaging BibleTime is going to take a bit longer.
God bless, Barry.
God bless,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
This has now been released - Sword 1.7.3 final has flown the coop.

Packagers, please take note. To the best of my knowledge this is a bug-fix
only release and is both API and ABI compatible with previous releases in
the 1.7 series. In addition to the changes mentioned above, an additional
set of bugs that fixed improperly URL-encoded text and addressed multiple
functional deficiencies in the flatapi.cpp binding file were included in
this release. It is (or at least should be) identical to the 1.7.3alpha2
tarball that went out previously except in the naming of the file.

Fedora packages for rawhide are currently being built. I'm not sure if I
will pull this update back to F20 or not yet.

--Greg
Post by Greg Hellings
Post by Barry Drake
Packaging BibleTime is going to take a bit longer.
God bless, Barry.
God bless,
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I did not keep track of them, since we actually only encourage use of
utilities built from trunk HEAD. There was a whole host of updates to
diatheke mainly but I didn't track them each. If you subscribed to
sword-svn you would see them individually laid out.

--Greg
--
http://sword-dev.350566.n4.nabble.com/Sword-1-7-3-tp4653891p4653893.html