[sword-devel] Malayalam module
Baiju M
2014-02-26 20:25:49 UTC

Is there anyone working on Malayalam (Indian language) module ?

I found this free text here. Is it possible to use it as a source ?

http://ml.wikisource.org/wiki/%E0%B4%B8%E0%B4%A4%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%AF%E0%B4%B5%E0%B5%87%E0%B4%A6%E0%B4%AA%E0%B5%81%E0%B4%B8%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%A4%E0%B4%95%E0%B4%82

Regards,
Baiju M
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

The source files were uploaded by Nishad H. Kaippally to wiki source:

http://ml.wikisource.org/wiki/%E0%B4%89%E0%B4%AA%E0%B4%AF%E0%B5%8B%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%A4%E0%B4%BE%E0%B4%B5%E0%B5%8D:Kaippally

He also maintains another source here:
http://www.malayalambible.in
http://www.malayalambible.in/docs_faq.htm (FAQ)

If nobody else working on Malayalam, I would like to start working on it. I
am very new here, so I need some pointers to start.

I am thinking to use wiki source version as the base. Should I move that
source into a different format (non wiki) ? Should I keep it under version
control ?

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Have a look at our wiki - www.crosswire.org/wiki
Post by Baiju M
I am thinking to use wiki source version as the base. Should I move
that source into a different format (non wiki) ? Should I keep it
under version control ?
What we need in the end is a import file in one of our acceptable import
formats - the best and likely most useful one is OSIS.

How you get there is largely up to you, we would look at - does the
final OSIS file reflect accurately the source and does the OSIS work for
us.
Having said this, my usual workflow is to create an USFM text as this is
often a lot easier (for me) and then import that into OSIS with
pre-existing tools.

Peter
Chris Little wrote a Python script which for another Wikisource Bible text,
imports the text into an intermediate format (USFM).

He observes that every Bible text he's seen as a Wikisource edition has its
own peculiar idiosyncrasies.

A one-size-fits-all script would be impossible to manage.

Each such project would require the script to be tweaked to cope with how it
is hosted and tabulated.

One such script is called wycliffe.py and is targeted to fetch & convert the
text at
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_(Wycliffe)

I'm sure that this would be a good place to start.

When he reads this thread, he will probably respond with further details.

David

David Haslam
2014-02-27 10:12:53 UTC
Dear Baiju,

It would be sensible to contact my friend Yesudas S Solomon at
http://wordofgod.in/
and to ask whether he has already converted this text to a SWORD module.

Of all the people among my worldwide contacts, he is the one who is most
likely to be able
to advise about the provenance and authenticity of this Malayalam text on
wikisource.

I expect you may find that http://www.malayalambible.in/
is a domain already associated with The Word of God Team.

Best wishes,

David Haslam

Go Bible project leader

Baiju M
2014-04-07 09:24:37 UTC

I have added few USFM files for Malayalam bible here:
https://bitbucket.org/sathyavedapusthakam/svpm
Please review the file structure and let me know if any changes required.

I have created USFM files for those books which I proofread myself.
So it may take more time to complete this work unless more volunteers
coming forward to proofread the text.
Hi,
David Haslam
2014-04-07 09:58:07 UTC
Minor point:

It would be preferred that the file names adhere to the system tabulated in
the USFM User Reference,
the section on Identification | Book Abbreviations, where the table is
headed:

This table lists all the standard 3-character book abbreviations that can be
entered after \id marker at the top of each USFM file.
Some scripture editors like Paratext may also include the number shown for
each book in the filename for that book.

Thus: (for the books provided so far, filenames to begin with these numbers)

63 1JN 1 John The First Letter of John
64 2JN 2 John The Second Letter of John
65 3JN 3 John The Third Letter of John
66 JUD Jude The Letter of Jude; ....

This is not an absolute requirement, but it helps for directory sorting to
have the numerical prefices.
It doubly helps Windows users to separate the two digit prefices with [say]
an underscore.

e.g. 63_1JN_MAL.usfm

The text for the \mt tags is currently in English. For these main titles, I
would expect Malayalam also.

NB. The three epistles of John have an empty \toc1 tag.

Apart from this - I detected no significant technical issues in the four
files.
e.g. There are no missing verses or mistyped tags.

Best wishes,

David

Kahunapule Michael Johnson
2014-04-07 20:21:29 UTC
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks David & Michael for the feedback!

In the Malayalam bible printed by the Bible Society of India,
they used both Malayalam and English in the title.
Sometimes the title span 4 lines as given here:
Use \m1 upto \mt4 ?

Should I handle this or just ignore English titles ?

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 1:51 AM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson <
Hello, Baiju.
The USFM looks mostly good, but the title set seems to be in need of
editing. Also, proper USFM requires that a paragraph type be started
between any chapter mark and the first verse. Normally, this is just a
plain paragraph, like
\c 1
\p
\v 1 ?????????????? ????? ???????? ?????? ??????????? ??????? ?????
??????????
\v 2 ...
Also, the \h, \toc1, \toc2, \toc3, and \mt tags should all be in the
vernacular (i.e. Malayalam), and appear in that order.
\h is a short title (i.e. "1 John") of the book for running headers and
book selection links
\toc1 is the long title (i.e. "The First Letter from the Apostle John")
\toc2 is the short title (i.e. "1 John")
\toc3 is the abbreviation of this book used in footnotes and cross
references (i.e. "1 Jn")
\mt2 The First Letter from the Apostle
\mt1 John
Normally, \h and \toc2 have the same content, give or take capitalization.
Normally, \toc1 is the same as all of the \mt# tags concatenated together
(but not always, as sometimes translators put both long and short titles in
their entirety in those tags)
If \toc3 is present, it should be a consistently-used abbreviation or it
may be the same as \toc2 if no abbreviations are used.
Your partner in electronic Bible publishing,
MICHAEL JOHNSON <http://MLJohnson.org>
*1215 S KIHEI RD STE O-728 KIHEI HI 96753-5220*
USA
Verizon Wireless Mobile: +1 *808-333-6921 <808-333-6921>*
Skype: kahunapule or +1 719-387-7238 Bibles.pw
eBible.org
MLJohnson.org
PacificBibles.org
PNGScriptures.org
TokPlesBaibel.org
VanuatuBibles.org
Hi,
India Bible. Please report errors in content to kaippally at gmail.com
It looks like a clean source (from the standpoint of provenance) if this
can be verified.
On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:35 PM, Baiju M <baiju.m.mail at gmail.com> <baiju.m.mail at gmail.com>
Hi,
Is there anyone working on Malayalam (Indian language) module ?
I found this free text here. Is it possible to use it as a source ?
http://ml.wikisource.org/wiki/%E0%B4%B8%E0%B4%A4%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%AF%E0%B4%B5%E0%B5%87%E0%B4%A6%E0%B4%AA%E0%B5%81%E0%B4%B8%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%A4%E0%B4%95%E0%B4%82
Regards,
Baiju M
Small correction, In the picture that I giiven the title has 5 line
(3 lines for English and 2 lines for Malayalam).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu6amxbue2sscgf/1Th.jpg
[...]
I think repeating the \mt# would be better to preserve the original titles.
So, there will be two sets for each book, one set for English and
another for Malayalam.

The example you given will change like this based on the original title:

\mt2 THE GOSPEL
\mt1 ACCORDING TO JOHN
\mt1 ???????? ?????? ????????

There is another issue with page headers. As you can see in the two images
I have given
in this mail thread, Malayalam bible use both English and Malayalam in the
page headers.
All the prints that I have seen use two column printing. For the left side
page, Malayalam
short heading is used above the first column and English short heading is
used above
the second column. For the right side page, Malayalam short heading is
used above
the second column and English short heading is used above the first column.
Here is a better picture to show the case I explained:

Is there any tag for page headers ?

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Kahunapule Michael Johnson <
If the printed Bible has both Malayalam and English titles, those can
both be put in using the \mt# tags. You shouldn't go deeper than \mt3,
though. You can have more than one of each level. The level indicates
\mt2 The Good News
\mt3 According to
\mt1 John
You can have more than one of each title level, though, so you can repeat
the whole set in Malayalam. Or use \mt1 for Malayalam and \mt2 for English.
Whatever you do, though, the \toc1, \toc2, and \toc3 tags should all have
Malayalam contents.
[...]
Skype: kahunapule or +1 719-387-7238 <%2B1%20719-387-7238> Bibles.pw
eBible.org
MLJohnson.org
PacificBibles.org
PNGScriptures.org
TokPlesBaibel.org
VanuatuBibles.org
Hi,
[...]
To include the English running header along with Malayalam, can I use
multiple \h1 ?
How is this formating for 1. John ?

\id 1JN 63_1Jn.usfm ??????????????
\ide UTF-8
\h1 1. John
\h1 1. ????????
\toc1 ???????? ?????? ?????? ?????
\toc2 1. ????????
\toc3 1 ???.
\mt2 THE FIRST EPISTLE OF
\mt1 JOHN
\mt1 ???????? ?????? ?????? ?????
http://i.imgur.com/yj7Tbu0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/x7lJWJv.jpg
[...]
I've yet to come across a USFM file with more than one \h tag.

I may be wrong, but I suspect you can only have one \h type tag.
The second one might simply overwrite the first??

What's to stop having both the English and Malayalam book names in the same
running header tag?

How would you wish to space them or delimit them? I guess the solidus might
be suitable.

\h 1. John / 1. ????????

Yet I see from the example in the User Reference, that in the printed
format,
a running header gets the chapter numbers automatically appended by the
Paratext style sheets.

\h Matthew

results in

Matthew 2?4

for the page that starts within chapter 2 and ends within chapter 4.

The result can only be tested properly by using Paratext.
I don't know how repeated \h1 tags would fare in Bibledit.

2014-04-08 20:07:07 UTC
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thank you very much! I will follow your suggestions.
On Apr 9, 2014 1:41 AM, "Kahunapule Michael Johnson" <Kahunapule at ebible.org>
Multiple \mt# titles are fine. Multiple \h titles are not. There is no
\h1 or \h2, only \h.
Preserving the bilingual running headers of the print edition would have
to be done in a typesetting/printing process. Multiple \h headers would not
have the desired effect in any electronic publication format I'm aware of,
including Sword and HTML. Haiola, for example, when reading USFM to make
web pages or inScript modules, will only remember the last \h encountered
in a book, and probably throw an error if there is an \h1 tag. Paratext
will throw an error at multiple \h tags or including a level number in \h.
USFM represents a common core of tags that is necessary to represent the
text of a Bible, but is by design not flexible enough to do anything you
want. OSIS is, but only if you write both the input and output processes--
and that isn't very practical. My recommendation for now is to omit the
English running headers in the Malayalam Bible USFM. If you want to mark
where they should be for the future, you can do so with \rem (remark or
comment) tags. Those won't go into Sword modules or other common output
formats, but could be manually read and acted upon by someone doing manual
typesetting in the future.
Post by Baiju M
[...]
The User Reference includes the # for level numbers.

*\h#_text...*

Does this mean that in say Psalm 119 - which might run to several pages,
using \h2 would include the verse numbers in the running page header?

Has anyone actually tried this?

David

Robert Hunt
2014-04-09 09:24:58 UTC
According to Jeff Klassen of UBS, they expect to officially deprecate
the numbered versions of \h in the next revision of the USFM spec. They
hope to have the manpower available to release USFM v3.0 (and USX v3.0)
sometime in 2014.

Robert.
David Haslam
2014-04-09 12:04:59 UTC
Thanks for that preview snippet, Robert.

David