[sword-devel] Xiphos ....
Barry Drake
2014-08-09 13:29:57 UTC
I see that Debian now has up-to-date Sword and BibleTime packages.
That's great, but the Xiphos package that was submitted didn't make it
because of Lintian errors. I'm not able to look at it until some time
in October, but it does seem a shame that there is only one frontend for
Sword that is officially 'out there'. We're getting very close to the
Ubuntu release date, and I am hoping that the Sword stuff will get into
the Ubuntu repos before too long.

God bless, Barry.
Greg Hellings

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Greg Hellings
What sort of "Lintian" errors?
Sorry Greg ... It didn't say. A few days ago, the packages page showed
the submission for Xiphos as having the error. It did not give specific
details. Now, that page has been automatically removed because a fix
was not submitted.

I'm very new to packaging, but when I made the experimental package for
the Sword library, the only sure way to build was to use debuilder under
a debian chroot environment. (under any distro). Debuilder works in a
virtual environment into which you install all dependencies using
apt-get, and the dependencies have to exist as Debian packages in the
repo you are building for.

The process logs all errors including lintian errors and only builds a
submittable package when you've written patches and overrides to fix them.

When I got a completed package, the maintainer (Was it Dimitri?) who
submitted it had to alter the library version number which conflicted
with the existing library. This has now broken the older library and
led to automatic removal of the older Bibletime package and the only
existing Debian package for Xiphos. I know some folk think the Debian
packaging process is overly picky. It's not - it's just very safe!

Regards, Barry
Ron Parker
2014-08-09 16:44:58 UTC
Barry?,

I'm a bit of a Debian fanatic with a bit of unexpected free time on my hands. Over the years I have created a lot of Debian and RPM packages. Is there anything I could do to pick this up and expedite it for you?

Ron

Barry Drake
2014-08-13 11:07:43 UTC
Post by Ron Parker
I'm a bit of a Debian fanatic with a bit of unexpected free time on my hands. Over the years I have created a lot of Debian and RPM packages. Is there anything I could do to pick this up and expedite it for you?
I've been looking around to try to find the tar files and the script for
the existing (failed) xiphos package. Any chance of someone telling me
where to find them? I think the uploader might have been Dimitri? The
required files are the orig.tar the debian.tar and the .dsc file. If we
can get these, Ron will be able to help.

Also, Alan Pope (Canonical) tells me that we can request a sync of
specific packages from debian as described in this link. I am a bit too
busy at the moment, but we need to do this to get the up-to-date sword
and bibletime packages into Ubuntu.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SyncRequestProcess

God bless, Barry.
Dimitri John Ledkov
2014-08-09 19:18:04 UTC
Hm?! Latest upstream xiphos release FTBFS with gcc-4.9 on Debian Sid
when I last tried packaging it. Latest packaging work should be pushed
to the dgit packaging repository.
I see that Debian now has up-to-date Sword and BibleTime packages. That's
great, but the Xiphos package that was submitted didn't make it because of
Lintian errors. I'm not able to look at it until some time in October, but
it does seem a shame that there is only one frontend for Sword that is
officially 'out there'. We're getting very close to the Ubuntu release
date, and I am hoping that the Sword stuff will get into the Ubuntu repos
before too long.
God bless, Barry.
Regards,

Dimitri.
Brian J Dumont
2014-08-13 12:19:36 UTC
Post by Barry Drake
I see that Debian now has up-to-date Sword and BibleTime packages.
That's great, but the Xiphos package that was submitted didn't make it
because of Lintian errors. I'm not able to look at it until some time
in October, but it does seem a shame that there is only one frontend
for Sword that is officially 'out there'. We're getting very close to
the Ubuntu release date, and I am hoping that the Sword stuff will get
into the Ubuntu repos before too long.
It looks from https://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xiphos.html that the
Lintian errors are for version 3.1.5. The fact that errors would be
found with 3.1.5 would not surprise anyone on this list, I suspect.

* [2014-06-10] xiphos REMOVED from testing
<https://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xiphos/news/20140610T163918Z.html>
(Britney)
* [2012-04-28] xiphos 3.1.5+dfsg-1 MIGRATED to testing
<https://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xiphos/news/20120428T163915Z.html>
(Britney)

We need to have them look at the latest source. anyone know who to
contact about that?

As a reminder, we have sword+xiphos+bibletime packages for Ubuntu 13.10
and 14.04 available at:

https://sites.google.com/site/xiphosforubuntu/files

BTW, as 13.10 has passed out of support I don't intend to build further
packages for it. If needed, I will build for 14.04.

Brian
"Let the wife make the husband glad to come home,
and let him make her sorry to see him leave."
- Martin Luther

Post by Brian J Dumont
It looks from https://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xiphos.html that the
Lintian errors are for version 3.1.5. The fact that errors would be
found with 3.1.5 would not surprise anyone on this list, I suspect.
Thanks for that - I hadn't managed to find it. The package build files
are at: https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/xiphos

It may be advisable to use later source, but the debian tar file will
make a good starting point. As I said earlier, I don't have time to do
any work on it, but maybe Ron might want to take a look?

Regards, Barry.
Ron Parker
2014-08-13 14:15:12 UTC
Post by Barry Drake
It may be advisable to use later source, but the debian tar file will
make a good starting point. As I said earlier, I don't have time to
do any work on it, but maybe Ron might want to take a look?
I will see what I can do.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron Parker
2014-09-16 12:07:08 UTC
I'm sorry to say it's been a month since I posted this. Unfortunately
I've not had nearly he amount of time I expected to dedicate to this.
My job search has been much more intensive than my previous experience
led me to expect. Beyond getting a proper build environment setup and
making a first attempt at getting all the right packages, I've made
little progress.

My apologies,

Ron