[sword-devel] Zero Width Joiner in Hebrew modules?
David Haslam
2014-03-13 15:54:48 UTC
To a greater or lesser extent, our Hebrew SWORD modules WLC, OSHB and MapM
make use of U+200D ZERO WIDTH JOINER.

None of these three modules make use of U+034F COMBINING GRAPHEME JOINER.

This might be more appropriate given that the codepoint was designed with
Biblical Hebrew in view.

Refer to Section 16.2 of the Unicode Standard version 6.2 ? Core
Specification.

http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.2.0/ch16.pdf

Should we refer this observation back upstream?

Best regards,

David

David Haslam
2014-03-20 21:32:03 UTC
Further analysis illustrates that my conjecture was correct.

The ZWJ is used to separate two Hebrew points in the WLC module.

In each case, the point after the ZWJ was always the METEG.
The point before the ZWJ was either the PATAH or the SEGOL.

In module MapM, it's a lot more complicated, with accents as well as points
involved.
Yet the principle is the same.

Both source texts ought really to have used the misnamed CGJ, as explained
in the Core Specification.

Analysis results available upon request.

David

Peter von Kaehne
2014-03-21 06:36:44 UTC
Post by David Haslam
Both source texts ought really to have used the misnamed CGJ, as explained
in the Core Specification.
I think you need to post this upstream, unless our modules are at fault
- i.e. we replaced one sign with another during our import. I doubt
that.

Peter
David Haslam
2014-03-21 10:49:42 UTC
Oh - indeed - but I was merely updating the earlier tentative observation
with further analysis.

The next step will be to look up the contact details for each of the three
Hebrew source texts.
WLC, MapM & OSHB.

Best regards,

David

David Troidl
2014-03-21 12:17:51 UTC
Actually, to the best of my knowledge, this feature of all three texts
would eventually trace back to Chris Kimball's Unicode Tanach:
http://www.tanach.us/Tanach.xml
Contact information is on the About page.

David
Post by David Haslam
Oh - indeed - but I was merely updating the earlier tentative observation
with further analysis.
The next step will be to look up the contact details for each of the three
Hebrew source texts.
WLC, MapM & OSHB.
Best regards,
David