[sword-devel] Sword packaging ....
Barry Drake
2014-04-05 10:15:24 UTC
Hi there .... In collaboration with Roberto S?nchez, I've got a working
Debian package for Sword 1.7.2. It needs fully inspecting and testing,
but it's close to being ready. I've put the Debian and the original
tarballs at:
http://ubuntuone.com/4SZ059JHeoS4AlQ4gcr1Uf
http://ubuntuone.com/3gYDbANrO3mt5asihQ2OZ5

The orig.tar.gz tarball is identical in content to the tarball at:
http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/source/v1.7/sword-1.7.2.tar.gz
and the Debian tarball contains the debian directory that goes into the
top level directory of the source.

Any problems, please let me know.

God bless, Barry Drake.
Daniel Hughes
2014-04-12 08:01:52 UTC
I'm very interested in debian sword packages being made available in a PPA.

However I need packages built from the latest trunk. This is so that I
can make use of features in the flat API that where not present in
1.7.2.

Having an official development would allow me to publish dev builds of
my own front end to my users on ubuntu without having to wait years
for the next sword to be released and then finally included in the
official ubuntu repos.
Barry Drake
2014-04-12 08:29:34 UTC
Post by Daniel Hughes
I'm very interested in debian sword packages being made available in a PPA.
However I need packages built from the latest trunk. This is so that I
can make use of features in the flat API that where not present in
1.7.2.
Obviously I could build from trunk, but I imagine this would be vetoed
by the Sword team. I would want to hear from Troy that packages built
from trunk would be acceptable to the team before I went down that
direction.

My own Sword installation is built from trunk as at a couple of weeks
ago, but as far as I am aware, trunk is classed as unstable until a
release is made.

Regards, Barry.
Troy A. Griffitts
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Obviously the biggest benefit to most people is 1.7.2 packages being
available. That should be the the first priority.

However once that is done I don't see any harm in development builds
being made available in a PPA for front end developer who want
something newer. It will also result in much better testing for the
development version of sword which can only be a win. People using an
unstable PPA will be well aware that they are using development
packages rather then the stable version.

Troy's suggestion of a a 1.7.3 release would also work well for me.
However I don't want to push sword into doing a stable release before
it is really ready.
________________________________
________________________________
Barry Drake
2014-04-16 07:42:09 UTC
Post by Daniel Hughes
Obviously the biggest benefit to most people is 1.7.2 packages being
available. That should be the the first priority.
I've put a newly built set of EXPERIMENTAL Debian packages of 1.7.3 from
trunk at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s748z00c3zxiupp/-SdnD2xcHR

If you can, (and are feeling brave) please test. I've done a fair bit
of testing, and I thing they are OK. Points to note: I have had to
patch some of the utilities to meet Debian standards. I could have
broken some of them in doing so. I haven't tested on a clean
installation (with no Sword stuff). Are there any unmet dependencies?
Also, since I built yesterday, there have been some commits to trunk, so
the packages won't meet the final release.

I won't be able to make packages of the final 1.7.3 until the end of
May, but if I can have some feedback before then, it will really help.
Please don't share the packages with folk who are not up to the
technicalities: if you choose to do so, I won't want to help them if it
breaks their installation!!!

God bless, Barry.

refdoc at gmx.net ()
2014-04-12 09:03:53 UTC
A lot has happened which should go into a stable release, so your bindings would nor be the only reason for a point release

Sent from my HTC