[sword-devel] Modules Don't Work
Jon Behrens
2014-08-29 21:15:36 UTC
Hello

This started out as a C# binding question, but the problem is deeper
than that. Basically
I can't get the installmgr to do anything useful. I am new to Linux, but
have been writing software on other platforms for ~50 years.

To insure that my machine configuration was not the problem (I had
installed Xiphos
and BibleTime earlier), I set up a new virtual machine using VirtualBox
and Mint 17.

I updated all the packages and installed build-essentials. No other
software.
I downloaded Sword-1.73 and uncompressed it into a folder 'sword-1.7.3'
under my
home directory.

I then followed the instructions in the INSTALL file and everything
appeared to make
correctly.

I went to the utilities directory and ran the installmgr

sudo ./installmgr -sc //Synch with master appeared to work
sudo ./installmgr -r CrossWire //refresh remote source - appears to
work, 411 packages
sudo ./installmgr -ri CrossWire KJV //returns 'Remote source
[CrossWire] does not make available module [KJV]

sudo ./installmgr -rl CrossWire //list modules on CrossWire - sure
enough, no KJV

Went to ~/.sword/InstallMgr/20081216195754/mods.d/ and found kjv.conf.
So refreshing the remote source finds KJV but install does not.

OK - let's try a local install:

Downloaded ESV.zip and unpacked it into the same directory (Downloads)

sudo ./installmgr -li ~/Downloads/ESV.zip ESV
Module [ESV] not available at path [/home/jsb/Downloads/ESV.zip]

sudo ./installmgr -li ~/Downloads/ESV ESV
Module [ESV] not available at path [/home/jsb/Downloads/ESV]

sudo ./installmgr -li ~/Downloads/ESV/mods.d ESV
Module [ESV] not available at path [/home/jsb/Downloads/ESV/mods.d]

sudo ./installmgr -li ~/Downloads/ESV/modules ESV
Module [ESV] not available at path
[/home/jsb/Downloads/ESV/modules]

Well, that didn't work. So let's try just extracting the archive into
/usr/share/sword

cd /usr/share/sword
sudo unzip ~/Downloads/ESV.zip
Archive: /home/jsb/Downloads/ESV.zip
inflating: modules/texts/ztext/esv/nt.bzv
inflating: modules/texts/ztext/esv/nt.bzs
inflating: modules/texts/ztext/esv/ot.bzs
inflating: modules/texts/ztext/esv/nt.bzz
inflating: modules/texts/ztext/esv/ot.bzv
inflating: modules/texts/ztext/esv/ot.bzz
inflating: mods.d/esv.conf

That's hopeful, let's try it out.

cd ~/sword-1.7.3/examples/cmdline //previously made this project
./lookup ESV Jn.3.16
Could not find module [ESV]. Available modules:

Note that the list of available modules is empty.

So at this point I'm stuck. It is my hope to write a front end in C#,
but I can't seem to get the package installed and working properly.

I'd appreciate any help.
Jon
Greg Hellings
2014-08-29 21:27:42 UTC
Try doing it as not root. I don't know why the docs suggest using root to
do the work, but try doing it in your local directory by running the
installmgr commands without being root.

--Greg
[...]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Thanks for the response Greg, but that doesn't work. Without being root:

./installmgr -ri CrossWire ESV
Couldn't find remote source [CrossWire]

./installmgr -sc
(Returns warnings and asks whether to proceed)
enable? [no] yes
Failed to sync config file with master remote source list.

Jon
<mailto:sword-devel at crosswire.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Same result -

jsb at jsb-VirtualBox:~/sword-1.7.3/utilities > cd ~/
jsb at jsb-VirtualBox:~ > installmgr -ri CrossWire ESV
Couldn't find remote source [CrossWire]

jsb at jsb-VirtualBox:~ > sudo installmgr -ri CrossWire ESV
Remote source [CrossWire] does not make available module [ESV]
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Jon Behrens <jbb at crimsonthread.com
Post by Greg Hellings
Try doing it as not root. I don't know why the docs suggest using
root to do the work, but try doing it in your local directory by
running the installmgr commands without being root.
--Greg
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Jon Behrens
[...]

Did that - no change.
Jon
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Jon Behrens <jbb at crimsonthread.com
Same result -
jsb at jsb-VirtualBox:~/sword-1.7.3/utilities
<mailto:jsb at jsb-VirtualBox:%7E/sword-1.7.3/utilities> > cd ~/
Post by Greg Hellings
Try running the installed version instead of the one in
utilities. If you executed "sudo make install" there should be a
copy in /usr/local/bin
--Greg
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Jon Behrens
Post by Greg Hellings
[...]
If the KJV module is not showing for you, the compiled library thinks it is not compatible. Sine you confirmed you don't have an old version, my next guess is that you probably didn't build with compression. The KJV module is compresses. Can you please post the output at the end of the ./usrinst.sh command which shows the configuration summary.
Post by Jon Behrens
Did that - no change.
Jon
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Jon Behrens <jbb at crimsonthread.com
Same result -
<jbb at crimsonthread.com <mailto:jbb at crimsonthread.com>>
Post by Greg Hellings
Post by Greg Hellings
Post by Greg Hellings
Post by Greg Hellings
Post by Greg Hellings
Post by Greg Hellings
made this project
./lookup ESV Jn.3.16
Could not find module [ESV]. Available
Note that the list of available modules is empty.
So at this point I'm stuck. It is my hope to write a
front end in C#, but I can't seem to get the package
installed and working properly.
I'd appreciate any help.
Jon
<mailto:sword-devel at crosswire.org>
Instructions to unsubscribe/change your settings at
above page
Post by Greg Hellings
<mailto:sword-devel at crosswire.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hello Jon,
I've run into issues with installmgr not working as documented previously;
here's some notes:
1. If you used sudo, be sure to "sudo rm -r ~/.sword" before trying to
set things up.
Otherwise, you may be dealing with read-only config files and install paths.

2. Before installing anything, you will have to create
~/.sword/sword.conf containing this:
===
[INSTALL]
DataPath=/home/<username>/.sword
===
where <username> stands for your login name.

A shortcut in the console:
mkdir ~/.sword && \
printf "[INSTALL]\nDataPath=$HOME/.sword\n" >~/.sword/sword.conf

This can be done after syncing the repositories if you prefer.

You may wish to check if /etc/sword.conf contains anything beyond
a similar directive.

3. installmgr will report success when it didn't succeed due to read-only
DataPath.
To check whether the modules are installed, I suggest:
diatheke -b system -k modulelist

Hope this helps you,
Isaac Dunham
Troy A. Griffitts
2014-08-31 08:13:42 UTC
Dear Isaac,

While your information is not inaccurate, it can be quite confusing.

SWORD, by default, configures itself to save global modules under
/usr/share/sword/

Your instructions are not what must be done, as you have said "you will
have to..." Your configuration is a choice to install modules privately
only for a single user account. The default configuration also supports
this, as SWORD will first look at the global path (/usr/share/sword/)
and then ~/.sword/ and augment modules found there as well.

While installmgr previously did not output proper errors when it could
not write to the output path, this is no longer the case for a while now.

Your information might be helpful, but I hope next time you might
preface it with a clause something like: "I find that the default
configuration to store files globally is more trouble than it is worth.
I have change my configuration to always install modules to my single
user home directory."

Troy
Isaac Dunham
2014-08-31 20:49:11 UTC
Post by Troy A. Griffitts
Dear Isaac,
While your information is not inaccurate, it can be quite confusing.
SWORD, by default, configures itself to save global modules under
/usr/share/sword/
Your instructions are not what must be done, as you have said "you will have
to..." Your configuration is a choice to install modules privately only for
a single user account. The default configuration also supports this, as
SWORD will first look at the global path (/usr/share/sword/) and then
~/.sword/ and augment modules found there as well.
Thank you for correcting me.
Post by Troy A. Griffitts
While installmgr previously did not output proper errors when it could not
write to the output path, this is no longer the case for a while now.
Might I ask when this was fixed? I ran into it with 1.7.3.
Post by Troy A. Griffitts
Your information might be helpful, but I hope next time you might preface it
with a clause something like: "I find that the default configuration to
store files globally is more trouble than it is worth. I have change my
configuration to always install modules to my single user home directory."
Troy
Thank you and God bless,
Isaac Dunham
Troy A. Griffitts
2014-09-01 07:23:08 UTC
Hi Isaac,

Post by Troy A. Griffitts
write to the output path, this is no longer the case for a while now.
Might I ask when this was fixed? I ran into it with 1.7.3.
I would need to look at the svn commit logs, but these problems should not exist in 1.7 branch. I didn't see them using svn head when I tested replying to this thread. If you can confirm that no error is output when installing to a directory for which you have no write permission, please let me know and we will hunt down the commit which still needs to be merged to the 1.7 branch. Thanks for reporting and checking for us. Greatly appreciated.

Troy
Post by Troy A. Griffitts
configuration to always install modules to my single user home
directory."
Post by Troy A. Griffitts
Troy
Thank you and God bless,
Isaac Dunham
Post by Troy A. Griffitts
Post by Isaac Dunham
2. Before installing anything, you will have to create
===
[INSTALL]
DataPath=/home/<username>/.sword
===
where <username> stands for your login name.
mkdir ~/.sword && \
printf "[INSTALL]\nDataPath=$HOME/.sword\n" >~/.sword/sword.conf
This can be done after syncing the repositories if you prefer.
You may wish to check if /etc/sword.conf contains anything beyond
a similar directive.
3. installmgr will report success when it didn't succeed due to
read-only
Post by Troy A. Griffitts
DataPath.
Jon Behrens
2014-09-01 22:33:44 UTC
Thanks to Troy's help, I've got Sword installed, modules downloaded and the
cmdline example now works.

I still don't have a libsword.so which is needed for the C# bindings
project to run.
I've got a libsword.la and a libsword.a

Is there a compiler switch I need to set to generate the .so library?

Thanks again
Jon
Troy A. Griffitts
2014-09-02 00:37:34 UTC
Yes, usrinst.sh configures the build with options most convenient for a SWORD engine developer (well, what I consider most convenient) and that is to build SWORD for static linking so you never accidentally test against some other libsword on your path.

Edit usrinst.sh and have a look at the options at the top. There is one for building SWORD as a shared library.

Glad you got it almost working!

Troy
Post by Jon Behrens
Thanks to Troy's help, I've got Sword installed, modules downloaded and the
cmdline example now works.
I still don't have a libsword.so which is needed for the C# bindings
project to run.
I've got a libsword.la and a libsword.a
Is there a compiler switch I need to set to generate the .so library?
Thanks again
Jon
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I found it. (at least what I had to do to get sword producing a .so file.

Open usrinst.sh and comment out the following line by putting a # at the start:
OPTIONS="--disable-shared $OPTIONS"
to:
#OPTIONS="--disable-shared $OPTIONS"

This should mean you get a .so created.